--- MOLD AND MILDEW ON CUSHIONS IS NOT A VALID WARRANTY CLAIM ---
For a new spill or stain on your Sunbrella fabric:
- Blot (don’t rub) liquid spills with a clean, dry cloth. For oil-based spills, apply an absorbent such as corn starch, then remove with a straight edge.
- Spray on a mild cleaning solution of soap (such as Dawn or Woolite) and water.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly to remove all soap residue and air dry
If that doesn’t work, try this:
1. Cleaning Removable Fabric
2. Cleaning Non-Removable Fabric
Prepare a solution of ¼ cup mild soap per gallon of lukewarm water. Use a soft bristle brush to clean, allowing the cleaning solution to soak into the fabric. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue and allow fabric to air dry.
3. Cleaning the Cushion Core
The foam core inside the cushion is made from an inert material, which makes it chemically impossible for mold to grow inside the foam. If mold is present on the surface of the cushion core, use a rough towel or a scrub sponge to briskly scrub the dirty area using a solution of warm water mixed with mild dish detergent. After cleaning the surface of the cushion core, use a high pressure hose to rinse, and air dry.
Mold and Mildew Stains
Sunbrella fabrics do not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances if not removed from the fabric.
To remove mold or mildew:
- Prepare a solution of 1 cup of bleach and ¼ cup mild soap per gallon of water.
- Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric for 15 minutes.
- Clean entire surface area with a sponge, clean towel or very soft bristle brush.
- Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue and air dry.
For severe mold/mildew growth, bleach quantities may be increased. It is best to clean the entire surface area of the fabric to avoid water rings and stains.
- Avoid scrubbing, hard bristle brushes or any other abrasive cleaning method.
- Sunbrella should only be allowed to air dry.
- Protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric when using bleach or other chemical solvents that may discolor non-Sunbrella fabrics. Always rinse Sunbrella thoroughly.
- Bleach can have harmful effects on the natural environment around you. Please follow all safety and environmental precautions according to the bleach label.
- If fabric has some wrinkling, use an iron on the synthetic setting. As iron temperatures may vary, first test a small inconspicuous area before ironing the entire piece.
- DO NOT use a steamer or iron set to steam setting.